PDA

View Full Version : What does ball track indicate?

markbBennett
03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I am new to the message board and have found it to be a great place for bowling advice and discussion, thanks everyone. After reading some other threads I became curious with my ball tack (hope I'm using the term correctly). If you look at the ball with the finger and thumb holes making a "T" SHAPE, I noticed during my last practice session the oil would track on the left side of the T in a pretty much up and down line, maybe slight angle in towards the thumb. I was wondering if some may have insight into what this might indicate about my release and/or shot in general? I throw a medium speed ball with medium to high revs. My only ball at this time is a 15lb Black Widow Venom that is drilled with the pin between and above the fingers holes (I think it is a layout #3 low track). Appreciate anything I can learn thanks

First year bowler
170 ave

PinSlayer
03-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I am new to the message board and have found it to be a great place for bowling advice and discussion, thanks everyone. After reading some other threads I became curious with my ball tack (hope I'm using the term correctly). If you look at the ball with the finger and thumb holes making a "T" SHAPE, I noticed during my last practice session the oil would track on the left side of the T in a pretty much up and down line, maybe slight angle in towards the thumb. I was wondering if some may have insight into what this might indicate about my release and/or shot in general? I throw a medium speed ball with medium to high revs. My only ball at this time is a 15lb Black Widow Venom that is drilled with the pin between and above the fingers holes (I think it is a layout #3 low track). Appreciate anything I can learn thanks

First year bowler
170 ave

If the oil track is close to the thumb and a little farther away from the fingers then you have a HIGH track. Nothing wrong with that at all. I also have a high track.

If you change the axis of the ball then the track will change. What I mean is when your in yout stance on the approach turning your hand so your more 10:00 on the finders and 4:00 vs say 12:00 and 6:00 will change the track line on the ball.

Just for the record you should be 10 and 4:00.

Changing the axis point will affect the ball as to how much it hooks. The line closest to the finger and thumb is how a ball driller gets your PAP. (Positive axis point)

Of course I am subject to being wrong.. LOL I am sure others will chime in and give some info also.. I have been bowling a long time but never really got into the tech specs on track, flair etc....
Flair is when you see more oil rings going from next to the finger and it moving to the side of the ball.

busterb
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
If you change the axis of the ball then the track will change. What I mean is when your in yout stance on the approach turning your hand so your more 10:00 on the finders and 4:00 vs say 12:00 and 6:00 will change the track line on the ball.

Just for the record you should be 10 and 4:00. .

can some one explan what he is talking about here with the 10:00 and 4:00 thing? I also have low revs at around 12.5 to 13.5 mph speed.

I throw down the 5 board and let it hood in, using a Hammer Acid, it has been over reacting lately also.

BubbaRay
03-18-2009, 10:10 PM
can some one explan what he is talking about here with the 10:00 and 4:00 thing? I also have low revs at around 12.5 to 13.5 mph speed.

I throw down the 5 board and let it hood in, using a Hammer Acid, it has been over reacting lately also.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/BallSemi.jpgSemi-Roller

This is the most-usual track for hook bowlers today, with the track being just to the side of the fingers and thumb. Because the ball is not rolling over the middle of the ball it is "tilted" a little as it rolls and impacts with the pins. This tilt creates extra mix as it sends the pins in a more horizontal direction, into each other. This style is used by strokers and can be used with moderate to high revs for more hook potential.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/BallSpin.jpgSpinner

Many bowlers, trying to achieve more hook will mistakingly overturn the wrist: this has the effect of creating more axis-tilt - the ball spins more than rolls and the track is reduced in size. A smaller track means there is less of the ball surface in contact with the lane, which means less friction and accordingly less hook. This style will find it very hard to score on heavy oil conditions and need to use dull surface aggressive balls. Carried to the extreme, though, it develops into what we call a "helicopter" ball and is cacapable of averaging 200+ on any lane condition.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/BallFlar.jpgFlare

Modern balls (since the mid-1990's) have introduced the concept of "dynamic imbalance" which means the ball moves off it's initial track and migrates to a new track with each roll of the ball. This means that more of the dry surface of the ball touches the lane for increased hook potential. Extra hook means it can be difficult to achieve consistent reaction so there is a balance between control and power: you can often hear crankers complain the lane is "dry" while the low track bowler may say there is too much oil!

BubbaRay
03-18-2009, 10:12 PM
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/BallBack.jpgBackup Ball

A right handed hook bowler will hook the ball from the right to left, into the pins. A backup bowler has a "reverse" hook, laying the ball down with reduced revs in the middle of the lane letting it fade right into the pocket. More ladies than men use the backup style and if delivered with slow speed it can hook significantly.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/BallCran.jpgCranker

A bowler capable of generating high revs by getting the thumb out and keeping the fingers in the ball can generated an inverted track.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/BallRoll.jpgThis style was successful in the past, but is generally not seen as often with modern lanes and equipment. It is characterised by the track going between the fingers and thumb. If you measure the length of this track you will find it is equal to, or very close to, the circumference of the ball (27 inches). Generally a full-roller style will have only moderate revs and medium hook.

PinSlayer
03-19-2009, 12:22 AM

As your holding the ball. Look down at it and think of the top of the ball being a clock face.. Rotate your hand so your fingers are in the 10 position and your thumn is in the 4.

markbBennett
03-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the great info guys! looks like i am a "semi-roller" as thats pretty close to what I see on the ball, sometimes with a small amount of flare

I am very happy to have found this mesage board and all the good advice, thanks for taking the time to respond to my question, I'm sure to think up many more

tonight's league: 196+174+173=543 for 181 ave

darn open frames! (3-4 per game) I need to work on my backswing to increase my accuracy when shooting spares.

PinSlayer
03-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the great info guys! looks like i am a "semi-roller" as thats pretty close to what I see on the ball, sometimes with a small amount of flare

I am very happy to have found this mesage board and all the good advice, thanks for taking the time to respond to my question, I'm sure to think up many more

tonight's league: 196+174+173=543 for 181 ave

darn open frames! (3-4 per game) I need to work on my backswing to increase my accuracy when shooting spares.

Yea I get 2 to 3 rings of flare also...

mongoliantreesloth
03-19-2009, 06:07 AM
As your holding the ball. Look down at it and think of the top of the ball being a clock face.. Rotate your hand so your fingers are in the 10 position and your thumn is in the 4.
Shouldn't that be the other way round? Fingers at 4 and thumb at 10? If you rotated so as your thumb was at 4:00 it'd probably break your wrist.

BubbaRay
03-19-2009, 07:14 AM
I can play the inside of the ball and my fingers are pointing in the 10:00 position and my thumb is in the 5:00 position

sawmaster
03-19-2009, 08:42 AM
I need to work on my backswing to increase my accuracy when shooting spares.

dont 4git...the higher ur backswing...the more likely u will lose control of the ball and miss

markbBennett
03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I have a continued problem with control during my backswing with my strikeball. I feel as though I am fighting to keep it in the groove. Let me explain more, I have a very low backswing that does not keep the proper full arm extension, I would say that there is a small amount of elbow bend. If I try to keep full extension I get the feeling of wanting to drop the ball on the downswing. In order to keep my fingers in a strong leverage position and hand behind the ball to have a "release like your throwing an underhand spiral with a football" I have been forced to almost guide my backswing. This has been way better than my previous thumbless style, as my ave has increased and I have bowled my three highest games and high series recently too. Some have said my release looks pretty good most times now.
But I am hoping to take my game to the next level one day and want to keep working until I can put it together.

For spares i use my strikeball and my inconsistent backswing hurts my accuracy. I do not have a spareball at this time ( I know I have to get one!), but when I throw a houseball at spares in practice often I can have a nice and high controlled backswing that throws straight and fairly accurate.

I think the thumb pitch on my ball needs to be adjusted. I believe it has zero pitch now. I used a friends ball that had some pitch down away from the fingers (negative?) and that felt more like I could keep my hand in control of the ball. Should I get that adjusted, what would you recommend? Right now there seems to be a lot of pressure against the top of my thumb when inserted fully, so I only insert about half way. I line up with my hand at the 10 and 4 positions

I know thats alot to say, thanks for letting me go on..

BubbaRay
03-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Mark, if you fell as if youare going to drop the ball when your arm is in the straight down position while holding the ball, yourgrip is not correct. You should havea relaxed grip and it shouldfeel like a glove when holding the ball or swinging the ball simulating your back swing witha locked elbow. Have your pro shop take a look at thefinger and thumb pitches as well as your span. I have to say itall lies in your grip.

PinSlayer
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Shouldn't that be the other way round? Fingers at 4 and thumb at 10? If you rotated so as your thumb was at 4:00 it'd probably break your wrist.

NO if you put your fingers on the 4 you would break it..
Picture a clock resting on the top of the ball.

12 is towards the pins on the top 6 is closest to you.

Moving your wrist from side to side move it to the left (if your a right handed bowler. If your left handed it will be 2 for the fingers and 7 for the thumb.

markbBennett
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Thank you. Advice well taken