PDA

View Full Version : Best Ball for Slow Ball Speed

turtle
05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for a ball for slow speed?

BubbaRay
05-29-2009, 10:02 PM
need alittle more infor. How slow of a speed are we talking about? Whast kind of condition do you bowl on? what type of lane surface? What is your bowling style?

turtle
05-29-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm 53 yr old female/180 avg...medium oil/typical house shot....about 12mph.

turtle
05-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Sorry....right handed hook. Play 3rd arrow. Using Blue Vibe drilled to cut down hook to counter the slow speed. Its working OK but just want to try something new. Was even thinking of going to a 13lb ball to try get more speed. Using a 14lb now.

BubbaRay
05-29-2009, 10:14 PM
You should be able to throw a good midline ball such as the Raw Hammer line. With different drillings and surfaces you could also use any performance line ball. It all depends on the ball and surface and drillings and getting it to match up with your game.

bluerrpilot
05-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Drill a ball pin on axis and use the cover to accomplish getting to the pocket.

butch444444
05-30-2009, 09:44 AM
My ball speed is around 13.5 and one house I bowl at tends to be on the dry side. I found that for me the Vibe was to much ball and ended up getting a Razyr. IMO the Razyr is a good ball for slow speeds and dry to mid oil lanes. Dont be put off by the pancake weight block as it hits a ton. Good luck and I know you will soon have 10 in the pit.

Pliko
05-30-2009, 09:50 AM
If you are on medium to heavy oil, I know I used to play a big slow hook with my anger at around 12-13 mph.

Of course if you have a very high rev rate, or it is too dry, that wont work.

Might not be worth dropping weight if it changes the core or hurts your carry

turtle
05-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks. I do have a 14 lb Razyr....the few times I tried it, it hooked too much. I think my ball speed may be less than 12 mph....not sure. But will try the Razyr again. I didn't give it much of a chance.

Also, the pin on axis sounds interesting....? ? that might be how my Blue Vibe is drilled....I can control the hook on that most nights. Any specific recommendations on a ball to drill pin on axis? and what kind of cover?

And, what about going to a 13lb? What kind of core would be worth trying? And how would you drill it? Sorry, Lot of Questions!!

Pliko
05-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Have you tried holding the ball higher and pushing it out and letting it swing free? Im just always curious when people say they are speed limited when really the main muscles needed are those to lift the ball up when you are standing at the line and pushing it out and letting it drop.

I could be way off for you, but just something to consider, no need to muscle it harder down the lane to get the speed.

As far as drilling, core, etc. It depends on the maker and the ball. With varying lane setups, I would consider drilling a ball with a good core, and a weaker coverstock, aggressive. But if your vibe is setup that way, you may have to try drilling it weak if you still have too much reaction.

The razyr basically has a 3 piece pancake core, like a plastic/spare ball, but a good coverstock, so it can still over-react on dry lanes if you dont have speed to tame it.

Best of luck.

Edit: I read back and see the vibe works for you with a tamer drill, you could try something like the psycho if you like the backend reaction, drilled somewhat similarly. Also, if you get a ball that bites too much or too soon you could also try moving over more towards the center and hopefully killing some of the early reaction in the oil, or at least giving yourself more room to hook.

Thepainscoming
05-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Make sure you fit is good, and try to go to a free swing, if you dont ssqueeze or dont muscle it you shouldn't be worrying about speeed that much

turtle
05-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks. What is an example of a ball with a good core and a weak coverstock? What is considered a weak coverstock?

butch444444
05-31-2009, 05:41 PM
As a follow up on the Razyr, mine will break a lot if I throw it 12 or below. Maybe a 13 lb would allow you to keep your speed up? I dont know if this is of any help, but you should also consider that if you drop to 13 on one ball you should drop to 13 on all of your balls. I know, I know the manafactures like when we change the weught of the ball we roll, lol. Good luck