PDA

View Full Version : Drilling the Toxic for stroker looking to crank

abit2zen
01-15-2007, 06:58 PM
I just bought the new Raw Toxic Hammer . I throw on a medium to light pattern with stroker speed and med revs with my current killer instinct . I want increase my ball speed more twords cranker and start working on increasing my revs .... what drill pattern should i get ....im leaning twords the Low -med rg strong layout ...pin 2 1/2 with the cg just below and to the right on the midline ......The shot i imagine and would like to throw would be over the 4th arrow with a nice glide inside with a strong snap into the pocket ....

dw800seeker
01-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I would be interested in what others have to say since I am pretty new to technical stuff. I would think if you have a high performance ball and want to crank it you would want a really weak drilling so that your ball does not hook out of the house. I would drill the ball with the recommended drilling for dry conditions. If the ball is not supposed to hook too much and you rotate the hell out of it you should be okay in medium oil. My concern would be if you crank it and throw it really hard it might skid all the way to the pins.

jman69
01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I crank the ball pretty hard and I have the all purpose drilling on my Black Widow and it hooks pretty hard in medium oil.

abit2zen
01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
what is the setup on a all purpose drilling ??? im taking my ball in tommorrow and i think im going to make this a cranker ball ....

dw800seeker
01-16-2007, 12:04 AM
All purpose on the BW is pin under fingers and CG kicked out to right at about 45 degrees. Can have balance hole parallel to CG along the midline. I do not have the balance hole right now on Toxic or BW however I am considering putting it in on the Toxic because I am finding my Toxic to be a little stronger than I want right now.

Lenny360
01-16-2007, 09:39 AM
First of all, make sure you base the pin placement from your PAP. Don't just look at the pictures. If you don't know it, go to a driller that will find it for you.

I personally have a high track, high revs, faster than average speed and a medium axis tilt. My style tends to make the ball roll really early, so I personally would go with a high rg length layout. This layout might go past the breakpoint for you at all or it might be a perfect fit.

Long story short, find a good driller to watch you bowl. Let us know how it works out, good luck!

abit2zen
01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
well went to get my toxic drilled today and i found somethings out that were unknown to me .....first of all ,my toxic has a 2 1/4 top wieght .....the drilling direction that came with it are for a 4oz ......so in order to get the pattern i wanted and make the ball legal with out drilling a counterhole (according to my proshop guy )i had to make an adjustment .... I wanted the pin at 2 1/2 and the cg out and to the right at a 45 degree ....what i got was ,the pin will above and to the right of the ring finger(about 1in) and the cg is kick out about 25 degrees tand right at 2in from the grip centerline ..... I feel because there was no mention in top wieght diffrence when ordering my ball not to mention a pattern design that didnt match the ball i got , that i got hosed ..... I must say i learned alot today but im afraid that this ball is not going to react the way i hoped .....What do you guys think will be the ball reaction to this setup going down the lane ?

Lenny360
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
2-1/4oz is a perfectly normal top weight. The drilling instructions for the toxic on this site say for either 2-4oz or 1-3oz. Top weight isn't all that important anyways.

http://www.hammerbowling.com/tech_info/detail.php?drilling=Drilling%20Instruction%201

Nascar4292
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
sorry i didnt get to write sooner to give my input but i have the toxic and love the drilling i have and will probably get it done on my pearl when i get it.....sucks i hear its not suppose to be coming out til july now but oh well i can wait. the drilling dw800 was talking about on his widow is the same one i have on my toxic and i love it....i can usually stand just about anywhere and adjust my speed and hand position and throw it in the pocket everytime.....i like to throw at the 5 tho about 15-16mph and medium revs.....the drilling has a nice mid lane roll with a nice snap at the end and very nice pin action.

dw800seeker
01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Good luck with the ball. Perhaps you have a very astute driller who incorporated your desires and the ball's specifications in making you a ball that will suit your needs.

I know that I wanted the set up that Nascar recommended and my driller had the ball marked up with grease pencil in a way not matching what I asked for. I reluctantly asked the ball driller to erase his grease marker and do what I asked realizing that if it did not turn out well it was all on me.:o :confused:

So far so good. The Toxic is pretty and takes pins down relentlessly.