PDA

View Full Version : how to crank

rdowling
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
i was wondering how does one become a cranker? Is the release different than a "stroker"? do crankers come out of the side of the ball?

Tunat
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
All in the hand position...The bowling magazine we get from USBC had probably the best examples, photos and info on the subject I have seen in a while. If I can find the article or link to it will pass along. Basically...difference between stroker, tweener, and cranker, ends up being the hand position at the time of release. In general terms.....if your hand is in back of the ball you are a stroker, if the ball sets in your hand your a cranker and tweener is a person in between the two (at your release point)...Real general terms...look up the article it will tell you more.

Street Racer
03-03-2007, 12:16 AM
1 of the worst thing u can ever do, is to become a cranker, oh well have fun tho

Da Hamma
03-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I believe there are two problems a cranker faces - ball control and consistency in picking up the 10-pin for righhanders & vice versa. However, I see alot of high average bowlers (between 180 - 200) here in Hawaii that are crankers, a few of my friends belong in that group. This is a style of bowling and if you are comforable enuf with it, then go with it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARSENAL:
High Rev
Road Hawg]
Black Widow
Hawg Zilla

jedi47
03-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I believe there are two problems a cranker faces - ball control and consistency in picking up the 10-pin for righhanders & vice versa. However, I see alot of high average bowlers (between 180 - 200) here in Hawaii that are crankers, a few of my friends belong in that group. This is a style of bowling and if you are comforable enuf with it, then go with it.

I've noticed the big crankers (and the thumbless) MIGHT throw a few more strikes on so-so hits, but their' spare shooting is atrocious! If they aren't carrying every borderline hit, they are fairly easy to beat just with the spare shooting aspect.
If you stay a stroker or tweener you also won't leave crap like a (right handers) 1-2-4-6-10 or 2-8-10.
If I tried to crank the ball like I see some of these people do,,,my wrist, shoulder & every thing else would probably require major surgery!

Street Racer
03-04-2007, 11:57 PM
I've noticed the big crankers (and the thumbless) MIGHT throw a few more strikes on so-so hits, but their' spare shooting is atrocious! If they aren't carrying every borderline hit, they are fairly easy to beat just with the spare shooting aspect.
If you stay a stroker or tweener you also won't leave crap like a (right handers) 1-2-4-6-10 or 2-8-10.
If I tried to crank the ball like I see some of these people do,,,my wrist, shoulder & every thing else would probably require major surgery!

lol well the first time in months maybe even years, i had to crank the crap out of the ball, Just the bent eblow, and i went 23 frames closed even sparing with my strike ball around half were strikes half were spares, but normaly i have a modified crankers release, its all wierd lol, but i get the power of a cranker and just a lil bit less revs

Brett

Ade66
03-05-2007, 07:24 AM
It's nice to have the ability lol, on the serious side a cranker does have more trouble sparing and regards injuries i've torn my bicep, ripped my tendons and now having problems with my lift finger. Have started stroking it now and letting the equipment do the work, and my scores are much better. But it is still fun to crank it up and blow a few apponents minds lol.:) :)

aigaios
03-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Forget cranking... be a power stroker!

Seriously though, with the help of my coach I've changed my game from being pure muscle to relaxation but kept my revs... and actually gained more.

drw02
03-06-2007, 01:04 AM
just bowl the way that feels more natural to bowl!!!

grayfin68
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
1 of the worst thing u can ever do, is to become a cranker, oh well have fun tho

I've seen plenty of very good bowlers who are crankers. The manager of the lanes I bowl at puts more revs on the ball than I could ever imagine and throws hard to boot. His backswing is almost at 12:00 and his hand is totally under tha ball at release.

He consistently averages 220 plus and has thrown 2 - 300 games this season in my league. He's a Storm guy for the most part (not that it really matters). I do like the look of the Storm balls and their scented ball gimmick.

One of the first games out of the box with his new Storm (pre-release) ball was a 300. I think it was the second game he used it out of the box and in league.

Street Racer
03-09-2007, 12:11 AM
I've seen plenty of very good bowlers who are crankers. The manager of the lanes I bowl at puts more revs on the ball than I could ever imagine and throws hard to boot. His backswing is almost at 12:00 and his hand is totally under tha ball at release.

He consistently averages 220 plus and has thrown 2 - 300 games this season in my league. He's a Storm guy for the most part (not that it really matters). I do like the look of the Storm balls and their scented ball gimmick.

One of the first games out of the box with his new Storm (pre-release) ball was a 300. I think it was the second game he used it out of the box and in league.

there is nothing wrong with being a cranker, i am one, but the injurys with you do it wrong are pretty bad. trust me, been there done that

grayfin68
03-11-2007, 09:19 PM
there is nothing wrong with being a cranker, i am one, but the injurys with you do it wrong are pretty bad. trust me, been there done that

I know, I saw your videos. I guess I'd at least like to be able to crank. I watched a tournament recently where Walter Ray Williams Jr. was cranking, something he learned how to do.

It's not his preference, but he proved he can crank with the big boys when he needs a better reaction from the pins.

SCapizziJr
03-11-2007, 11:25 PM
i beg to differ with you guys a cranker, stroker all he the same chance to be good at spare shooting. It s called a plastic ball try it. your hand position dont mean jack if the ball isnt going to hook. to be a great bowler you need to be able to do all of the above, crank when u need to and go straight when needed...

blistershurt
03-11-2007, 11:31 PM
I have a friend who can crank so well, he can hook a house ball cross lane >.> I'm always amazed when he does it too lmao.

lamebowler
03-12-2007, 08:51 AM
I had to pull a couple of these myself last week in league. threw one it looked like it went 90 degress from left channel to the right and back to the pocket. it kills my forearm and its not fun after a few frames.