PDA

View Full Version : Strong Finger Position One Key to Creating Revs

BubbaRay
11-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Good article by one of the top bowling coaches

If you want to increase your rev rate, it is critical that you be patient in the swing and allow the hand to remain in a strong finger position prior to initiating the release. All too often bowlers begin to throw too soon or too late. Both, are ball reaction killers. Read more to learn how to keep your hand in a strong position to generate more revolutions.

Strong Finger Position the Key to Generating Revs
If you want to generate more revolutions at release, you must maintain a strong finger position until you initiate the release. More over, you must not begin to turn the hand too soon. Professional bowlers are able to generate a high rev rate (375 on average of higher) due their ability to put the hand in a strong position prior to beginning the release.
You see this in the photos below. The fingers remain in a strong position much longer than the average bowler allowing the fingers an opportunity to rotate much further around the ball, at release.
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/release_position.jpg
Lane View of PBA players Fingers Prior to Release
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/release_position2.jpg
Front View PBA Player Just Prior to Release

If you want to increase your rev rate, it is critical that you be patient in the swing and allow the hand to remain in a strong finger position prior to initiating the release. All too often bowlers begin to throw too soon or too late. Both, are ball reaction killers. Read more to learn how to keep your hand in a strong position to generate more revolutions.

Strong Finger Position the Key to Generating Revs

If you want to generate more revolutions at release, you must maintain a strong finger position until you initiate the release. More over, you must not begin to turn the hand too soon. Professional bowlers are able to generate a high rev rate (375 on average of higher) due their ability to put the hand in a strong position prior to beginning the release.

You see this in the photos below. The fingers remain in a strong position much longer than the amateur bowler allowing the fingers an opportunity to rotate much further around the ball, at release.

What I teach to bowlers is to wait until their hand is passing the heel to ignite their release. This is the point in which a bowler should begin to accelerate through to the release. This allows a bowler to have a specific reference point to ensure that they are not beginning the release too soon or too late. In fact, research on professional bowlers shows that the acceleration point for an elite bowlers begins just in front of the ankle and is a small acceleration window. By targeting the heel in the mind, the bowler will process and really begin to throw the ball around the ankle.

Some bowlers kill the potential ball reaction by beginning to throw the ball too early. You can see them starting to accelerate in the middle of the back, at the waist or at the knee. This will always reduce ball reaction. They rotate the ball too soon and lose ball reaction, ball speed and rev rate. On the flip side, are those bowlers who throw the ball too late. You will see these bowlers often have a reduced ball reaction as well.

How To Learn to Throw with a Stronger Finger Position

To begin the process, in the stance, place your ring finger at 7 o'clock (RH) or 5 o'clock (LH). Be sure to use your balance hand to support the weight of the bowling ball. Try to maintain this position through the entire push-swing sequence. This will allow you to put your hand in a strong position prior to the release start.

Wait until your heel to begin the release. This will take some practice if you are throwing too soon or too late. As you imagine your hand passing the heel, begin to accelerate through to the release point. Basically, you are using the heel as a mental reference to build a habit of throwing at the best possible point on the swing.

Be patient, it will take time to master this. Consciously think about the heel as a reference when practicing.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't think about the heel when you are trying to score. Research has shown that when an athlete thinks about mechanics, in competition, they underperform. But, if you see little ball reaction or feel your self throwing too early, then use the heel reference on a few shots to secure your release timing and feel back to where it should be.

article taken from http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=140&Itemid=46

Rowdy
11-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Nice article,Bubba. Pain,there's your revs. You can stop wishin' and start practicin'. I'll have to see where I start mine when I practice tomorrow. Maybe I'll get some of the missing backend to show up using this. Thanks again,Bubba.

idlehourlegend
11-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Nice article Bubba, Is that Pete Weber on the top picture?

BubbaRay
11-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Nice article Bubba, Is that Pete Weber on the top picture?

Wish I knew Idle.

idlehourlegend
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Yea, Im almost 100% that it is, just by his angle at the line and hes wearing an Etonic glove and so does Pete. The picture is taken at one of the ESPN finals because you can see the sign on the lane to his left.

ek11sx
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
could be jeff carter

blistershurt
11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
that top pic is Jeff Carter for sure, PDW uses a different glove than that, PDW is more cupped at the end as well, he generates his revs from coming from directly under the ball, and a smooth release off of it, also I think he uses a weaker finger position from that.

That is Carter throwing either his Agent or Shift (i remember that being a screenshot in one of the PBA events at the end of last year)

Street Racer
11-26-2007, 06:19 PM

That is Carter throwing either his Agent or Shift (i remember that being a screenshot in one of the PBA events at the end of last year)

pretty sure thats the us open....

good read as well... i might have to try it.. get more revs... *evil laugh*

ek11sx
11-26-2007, 06:21 PM
he was throwing the agent

Rowdy
11-26-2007, 09:15 PM
The results are in! Between some more hand and changing how much loft I put on the ball,the BW's were killing the rack today! Bubba,can't thank you enough for putting that up about the finger positions. That was just what I needed.

Street Racer
11-26-2007, 09:42 PM
The results are in! Between some more hand and changing how much loft I put on the ball,the BW's were killing the rack today! Bubba,can't thank you enough for putting that up about the finger positions. That was just what I needed.

oh no... dont tell me rowdy has hand!...

idlehourlegend
11-26-2007, 10:03 PM
oh no... dont tell me rowdy has hand!...

We are going to have to see video of this......:D

Rowdy
11-26-2007, 10:36 PM
What? You want to watch the ball roll up the five and hook into the pocket? BO-ORING!!! I walk slow on the approach,have a medium high backswing and throw around 17mph. There just ain't that much to see,see the ball,see the hook,see the strike. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz. It would be the worlds most boring bowling video. The battery in the camcorder would probably go dead from boredom.

Street Racer
11-26-2007, 10:46 PM
What? You want to watch the ball roll up the five and hook into the pocket? BO-ORING!!! I walk slow on the approach,have a medium high backswing and throw around 17mph. There just ain't that much to see,see the ball,see the hook,see the strike. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz. It would be the worlds most boring bowling video. The battery in the camcorder would probably go dead from boredom.

lol.... no comment...

Rowdy
11-30-2007, 12:20 AM
My own freakin' team doesn't high five me until I hit a five bagger. I think they're getting spoiled....

Steve1591
12-08-2007, 11:32 AM
My own freakin' team doesn't high five me until I hit a five bagger. I think they're getting spoiled....

Dont feel bad, i dont get a high five til i string 6, and you think your team is getting spoiled :rolleyes:

Dave34
01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
This might be a stupid question but...

In creating a stronger finger position is it normal for the wrist to be a little "cocked" to the left (or have the hand tilted towards the body)? I think so from the pictures but I didn't want to start practicing it wrong.

blistershurt
02-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Dave, your wrist naturally bends to the left, not straight up. The "cocking" has to do with a cupped wrist, which does attribute to more revs along with good finger positioning.

For the money, the finger positioning Jeff Carter is using in that picture is the best because, for the most part, you wont lose any accuracy. If you really need the extra rev, you could go Doug Kent and curl the pinkey. The only downfall to curling the pinkey is that you will be less accurate for a while until you're used to it. There are....5 finger positions that I use....found it on Ron C's site. bowl4fun.com

Nor Cal Bowler
03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
that top pic is Jeff Carter for sure, PDW uses a different glove than that, PDW is more cupped at the end as well, he generates his revs from coming from directly under the ball, and a smooth release off of it, also I think he uses a weaker finger position from that.

yes its carter. watch the match from last year's pepsi championships vs. Ryan Schaffer. (match where schaffer bowls a 300.) Saw it on you-tube the other night

azguy
05-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Top pic is Jeff Carter, go to the site and it has his name on the pic.

Paul1979
06-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Dave, your wrist naturally bends to the left, not straight up. The "cocking" has to do with a cupped wrist, which does attribute to more revs along with good finger positioning.

For the money, the finger positioning Jeff Carter is using in that picture is the best because, for the most part, you wont lose any accuracy. If you really need the extra rev, you could go Doug Kent and curl the pinkey. The only downfall to curling the pinkey is that you will be less accurate for a while until you're used to it. There are....5 finger positions that I use....found it on Ron C's site. bowl4fun.com

Nice article Bubba

In reference to the above I tried tucking my pinky once and proceded to drop the ball vertically straight outta my hand. lol

I think I also use my fore and pinky in the revs I empart. I dont tend to rotate too much but just hit the ball very hard at the bottom. My shot is either over 15 or 20 board, out to between 5 and 2 and then back in again at around 17.5mph. Dont know what my revs are but around 400-500. Dont know what.

I will see if I can get a video of my release if anyone is interested?

Sabotage
07-21-2008, 11:35 PM
thanks for the post bubba, ive been practicing this the past few weeks and its working like a charm. still gotta get use to tucking the pinky next to my ring finger though. i always have the urge to also kick it out like the index :)

blistershurt
07-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Nice article Bubba

In reference to the above I tried tucking my pinky once and proceded to drop the ball vertically straight outta my hand. lol

I think I also use my fore and pinky in the revs I empart. I dont tend to rotate too much but just hit the ball very hard at the bottom. My shot is either over 15 or 20 board, out to between 5 and 2 and then back in again at around 17.5mph. Dont know what my revs are but around 400-500. Dont know what.

I will see if I can get a video of my release if anyone is interested?

I throw around 18 mph when I'm feeling good, and all of my revs come from that hand position shown in this article, and I dont turn that much or hit the ball real hard, and on a fresh THS I start around 30 with my feet and about 17-5 for my strike ball. I have around 300rpm, maybe a little higher.

JeffsInControl
08-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Today I went bowling and I figured I'll work on my game, so I really tried to cup my wrist to stay behind the ball. It took me a while to really get it perfect every time, but when I got it, I saw a major increase in hook and rev rate. It really works. Before today my hand position was on the left.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/460/wristpositionoq6.jpg

Now, I'm behind the ball reving it up. :D This thread really helped me out. Thanks guys. You Hammerheads are truly great.:)

Sabotage
09-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Today I went bowling and I figured I'll work on my game, so I really tried to cup my wrist to stay behind the ball. It took me a while to really get it perfect every time, but when I got it, I saw a major increase in hook and rev rate. It really works. Before today my hand position was on the left.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/460/wristpositionoq6.jpg

Now, I'm behind the ball reving it up. :D This thread really helped me out. Thanks guys. You Hammerheads are truly great.:)

yea this thread was amazing. not only did it create more revs for me, it is way easier to control my ball and throw it. the extra revs i generate now allow me to throw my ball the way i have always wanted too. my hand position ever since i read this thread is getting stronger and more consistent and am killing the pins

Curacao_Dejavu
03-17-2009, 04:04 PM
The best link so far I have seen showing what the fingertips, and hand releases do to create rev's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOINRpWGrlw&feature=related

will bowl for food
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.novageneracija.si/files/malottrelease.gif

I stumbled across this link. It's a slow motion video of Wes Malott's release. It's the perfect angle and speed for showing how he gets the revs he does.

This being my first post, can someone send me a PM on how to create a signature?

hammeredinkansas
02-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Finally got around to reading the original post...I rarely stray from the main forum. Wow, what a difference such a simple change can make! I definitely need to practice with it more, in order to get consistent with it, but I'm a rev machine now...lol...well, for me anyway. I used it in league for the first time last night. When my ball makes the turn, it hits so much harder! It made the Nasty nastier and the BWP...ummm...pearlier??? Oh well, you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

hammerhead11
03-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Thank you for this, i will practise this advice, it is great to see the pictures.

:)