PDA

View Full Version : How tight should the grips be?

uberamd
02-14-2008, 09:32 AM
How tight should finger grips be? I ask because when looking at my BWS and Elite, which were drilled up roughly 2 and 1 week ago respectively, I noticed that while my ring finger slides into the grip, to the first knuckle with no force, my middle finger does not. It slides about 3/4 the way to the first knuckle, I then need to push to get it to go all the way to the knuckle. Is this a bad thing (ie could it be causing the finger issues I pointed out in a previous thread which include bleeding and wear on the inside of my middle finger?

I also noticed that it seemed like the grip was rotated a bit too much counter clockwise, so when i do put my middle finger in properly, then go to put my ring finger in, I need to rotate my hand a bit, which causes my middle finger to not be lined up with how the grip is shaped properly. I know that sounds confusing, but look at your grips on your ball, and imagine the middle finger grip were rotated counter clockwise 10 degrees or so, your finger would go in, however when you try to put your ring finger in you would need to rotate your had so it goes in properly and then the oval part would squeeze your ring finger because it is not lined up properly anymore.

Sorry, I know that sounds VERY confusing as it is hard to explain, but I think its the issue with the pain I have experienced after getting my BWS drilled.

bluerrpilot
02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
I think its personal preference. I like mine to be somewhat loose fitting. That way I dont hit the ball as much.

uberamd
02-14-2008, 11:02 AM
What do you mean by 'hit the ball'?

I think I might have him make the holes a bit bigger, perhaps they fit my original ball a year ago so the layout sheet with sizes was accurate, but now that I live off Pizza and Ramen, I may have packed on some extra weight on my hands. Who knows.

Daorge
02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
What do you mean by 'hit the ball'?

I think I might have him make the holes a bit bigger, perhaps they fit my original ball a year ago so the layout sheet with sizes was accurate, but now that I live off Pizza and Ramen, I may have packed on some extra weight on my hands. Who knows.

Hitting the ball means how much finger lift you get at the end of your release usually, tighter grips tend to give people more lift, but if its tight enough that its causing bleeding I would go 1 size up, I also like my finger grips somewhat loose, You shouldn't have to force your fingers into the grips IMO.

Cobalt
02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I noticed that while my ring finger slides into the grip, to the first knuckle with no force, my middle finger does not. It slides about 3/4 the way to the first knuckle, I then need to push to get it to go all the way to the knuckle.

It sounds like your middle finger grip is too small, having one insert with a good fit and another with a small fit can cause release issues.

When you put your fingers into the ball, you should be able to get your fingers in to the crease on the underside of your first knuckle with no problem. If you can't, a bigger insert is in store.

pipes
02-14-2008, 02:21 PM
They can open the grip itself up some . I had that done to my thumb hole grip today on my BWB I also had him smooth the edge of the thumb slug a little it was digging a little to much for my likeing . seems these days your always tweeking a ball . . And its a lot better . They don't have to a LOT a times add a new grip or drill the actual ball .:)

I like mine tight but NOT so tight as it blisters/burns me or is hanging up any.
If your hole seems to large when your hands are NOT swolen up you can always add tape . Thats my 2 cents anyway!

pipes

Daorge
02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Pipes I believe he is referring to the finger inserts rather than the thumb hole.

I havent seen many people open up a finger inserts but I guess its possible, I think its just easier to go up another size though.

pipes
02-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Pipes I believe he is referring to the finger inserts rather than the thumb hole.

I havent seen many people open up a finger inserts but I guess its possible, I think its just easier to go up another size though.

I agree I duno IF they can or even should open a finger insert up . I just changed up a size when I needed one a those fixed . But They opened my Thumb slug up no problem !

I misunderstood or maybe its I am geting OLD and well didn't read it very well ;)

BubbaRay
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Hole sizes should be fairly snug, however the finger holes which include finger grips, should not be so tight that you have to jam the fingertips in to be able to get the fingers in to the joints.

Too many bowlers think they will get better lift with tight fingers. The problem arises when the finger joints don't make it all the way in, which has the effect of changing the span of the fit.

pipes
02-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I have always liked my thumb hole so as I just barely feel the sides when I slide it in . I am sure others likem tighter and loser . I had to increase a finger grip size because on my new BWB it was causing a blister one size up is perfect Now . I have a problem with my thumb swelling up and had the insert opened up just a tad today !! I also have the thumb insert rounded just a touch on my balls so it don't cut into my thumb right at the top of the opening . I have found since being back the finger inserts can have a slight sharp edge and cause a problem .

pipes

Rowdy
02-15-2008, 01:21 AM

You have obviously never seen me with sandpaper in hand,right before a tournament. Something doesn't feel quite right,I'll go after a finger insert to make it fit.

hbhammerhead
02-15-2008, 01:39 AM
i like my finger grips kinda tight helps. it's up to your own personal preference.

agroves
02-15-2008, 03:21 AM
Take a small piece of sandpaper, 220 or 400 grit. Wrap it around a pencil/pen. Sand the around inside of the insert until your finger slips in comfortably.

I'm guessing here, but are you using "tips" or "lift" inserts? Did the driller check the flexibility of your finger tips? Using those "lift" style inserts cause approx 1/4" reverse pitch in the fingers. Ideally, you want the pad of your finger to be in fully contact with the inside of the insert. You can still use the lift side, but the pitch needs to adjusted accordingly.

If your finger nail is digging into the back of the insert, your span may be a touch long or your finger pitch may not reflect your flexibility. What tipped me off was the "bleeding" you eluded to.

Personally, I am a Vacu-grip fan all the way. I like a nice snug feel.:D :eek:

Andrew

jzapper
02-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Take a small piece of sandpaper, 220 or 400 grit. Wrap it around a pencil/pen. Sand the around inside of the insert until your finger slips in comfortably.

I'm guessing here, but are you using "tips" or "lift" inserts? Did the driller check the flexibility of your finger tips? Using those "lift" style inserts cause approx 1/4" reverse pitch in the fingers. Ideally, you want the pad of your finger to be in fully contact with the inside of the insert. You can still use the lift side, but the pitch needs to adjusted accordingly.

If your finger nail is digging into the back of the insert, your span may be a touch long or your finger pitch may not reflect your flexibility. What tipped me off was the "bleeding" you eluded to.

Personally, I am a Vacu-grip fan all the way. I like a nice snug feel.:D :eek:

Andrew

I also use sandpaper to get a better grip fit, some insert brands sand better than others. My ring finger has a knot on it just above the joint from a old injury, if I went to a larger size insert to fit the knot the grip would be to lose. Due to the injury the joint on my ring finger has lost alot of flexibility, I use reverse pitch on that finger but I still feel my fingernail tyouching the back of the insert, is it better to shorten the span or add more reverse pitch?

agroves
02-15-2008, 10:50 AM
I also use sandpaper to get a better grip fit, some insert brands sand better than others. My ring finger has a knot on it just above the joint from a old injury, if I went to a larger size insert to fit the knot the grip would be to lose. Due to the injury the joint on my ring finger has lost alot of flexibility, I use reverse pitch on that finger but I still feel my fingernail tyouching the back of the insert, is it better to shorten the span or add more reverse pitch?

I'd try some additional reverse pitch. Without seeing your hand, that would be my first suggestion. Do you know what pitch you are at now? You only have to do that finger. You driller should be able to pour plug just to the top edge of the hole and redrill in the same spot with more rev pitch.

I use 1/4 rev and the most rev I've ever heard of is Mika, who uses 7/8 rev.

Andrew

No Mercy07
02-16-2008, 01:49 AM
I like mine to be really tight...

JaraTo
02-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I like mine to be really tight...

Are we still talking about bowling balls?

uberamd
02-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Are we still talking about bowling balls?

Hard to tell now.

Rowdy
02-16-2008, 11:07 AM
The three of you need to go get a room somewhere........

uberamd
02-16-2008, 11:23 AM
The three of you need to go get a room somewhere........

Im about to go to the lanes.

Rowdy
02-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Excuses,excuses............