Go Back   HammerTalk > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Actually-home cleaning recipes?

This is an extension of my Magic Eraser query. A reply I wrote got me thinking....

Would anyone care to share any home cleaning solution recipes with the rest of us? Obviously, there's nothing particularly magic about the stuff we purchase in the store that costs us so much $. Most of these products, from what I can tell, are alcohol based, and no matter what, they probably aren't going to contain anything that we couldn't purchase ourselves, anyhow..

Here's my reply that prompted this query:

[I'm looking for alternatives to commercial bowling ball cleaners because].. I have to look "fiscally responsible" to my girlfriend or things are gonna break down pretty quickly... alcohol and Magic Erasers are pretty cheap. Frankly, the Magic Eraser works really well around the house with just about everything else, so I figured it would be a good bowling ball cleaner. I, too, was surprized at how much stuff it picked up the first time I used it.

Actually, I was using isopropyl alcohol, but then I realized that the 70% ethyl alcohol mix at Walgreens has acetone in it, so I started using that. I mean.. it seemed to be a really good price to pay for a bowling ball "cleaner" since a lot of product, particularly the one I had been using, Ultraclean, had some of the same stuff in it from what I could tell. The Walgreens ethyl really seemed to do the trick.

After looking around, I realized that both ethyl alcohol (especially with aceton in it?) and the Ultraclean appeared to be illegal. To be honest (and if it ever comes to me having to bowl a truly fair game, I'll stop.. I'm just in a no-tap league with my g/f right now), I'm still using the 70% ethyl alcohol right now about once a week because.. well.. it seems to work really well.

But, if I can find something cheap and legal, like the Magic Eraser, I'd gladly go to that..

Last edited by Madmaxmarchhare; 03-02-2007 at 11:23 AM. Reason: mis-worded original post
Old 03-02-2007, 02:06 PM

Pour a 32oz box of baking soda into a bucket, put your bowling ball in the bucket and then dump in a gallon of vinegar. Results should be volcanic.

please don't really do this, it will result in quite a mess and your wife/girlfriend will be very angry.

Last edited by BradM; 03-02-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Umm.. yeah.. but...

... hehehe.. .a volcano is cool, but a clean bowling ball is what I'm-a-goin' after here..
Old 03-02-2007, 02:28 PM

if you're looking for a chep/easy way to clean your bowling ball I would suggest a hot water bath. 15 min. in hot water should do the trick.

Team BLACK WIDOW

HG: 277
HS: 663
AVG: 192.0
Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 PM

The most "fiscally responsible" and legal and easiest and safe and shall I go on? Is.....ready....HOT WATER! Hell it doesn't take long. And if you are really lazy just plug the holes and put it in the dishwasher. Don't use soap, and put it on the cycle with no drying heat. It's like magic...just without the eraser part.

Jacked
Acid
Burn
Emerald Vibe
Bite
Anger
Toxic
Blade Pearl
Ogre
Immortal Pearl
Hei$t
N'Sane LevRG
Carbide C+
Metallica Spare
Old 03-02-2007, 02:32 PM

damnit zombie you beat me to it...

I also forgot to add that you score brownie points with the girlfriend because she will hear the dishwasher running and think you are doing dishes on your own!

Just don't actually do dishes with the ball...because then there is the whole soap thing that you don't want....and then there is a whole issue with the china being covered in this lite film of lane oil...hehe.

Jacked
Acid
Burn
Emerald Vibe
Bite
Anger
Toxic
Blade Pearl
Ogre
Immortal Pearl
Hei$t
N'Sane LevRG
Carbide C+
Metallica Spare
Old 03-02-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Ok.. so hot water is good.. that's good to know..

... but what about liquid concoctions you can take to the lanes with you?

Also, my g/f is a bit of an eco-babe... hehehehe.. so I'm not sure if this dishwasher thing is gonna be 100% accepted.. but it's probably better than using the catch-all "chemicals" hehehehe
Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsexyhammer View Post
And if you are really lazy just plug the holes and put it in the dishwasher.
You mean if your an idiot put it in the dishwasher! I was an idiot and did this, lost a storm triple extreme to the cracking and later chipping that came from the extreme heat that the dishwasher will subject your ball to...

In the return: Fringe, Riot
In the bag: Invasion, N'Tense, Maxim
In storage: Beat'n, Noize

Last edited by can-ham; 03-02-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Thank god it wasn't one of my hammers!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:45 PM

Default I'll create a new thread for the dishwasher thing

... because I don't want this to devolve into a flame war.. I'm still looking for homemade concoctions to use in place of expensive store-bought cleaners.. specifically ones you can use in liquid form and tote with you..
Old 03-02-2007, 05:24 PM

So, cleaning in the crockpot is bad? I imagine same goes for putting ball into jello mold?