Go Back   HammerTalk > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Bowling without the use of a Thumb.

I have been using this technique now for a good 3 year span. The reason i have stuck to it was because of a re-occuring wrist and thumb injury i suffered while playing college football.

Caught a pass and came down facemask first into them, needless to say they both swell and get sore, so bowling without a thumb was only logical. I use a brace to stabalize the wrist.

That being said, my average has been stuck around a 180 for a good long time now. I bowl twice a week in two different leagues. I find that most of the time i can go on a huge run, as i bowl with a ton of speed, and torque, but am largely inconsistant.

I am looking to get into the Widow Bite or Pearl, as i currently have the toxic and it just doesn't have the back end i need.

What i need to know is how i should go about drilling the ball, as well as a few tips on how i can improve my game without a thumb?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys! Also, after years of working back out, the strength is back in my thumb, any suggestions on how to work my thumb back into my game?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 AM

willy you can drill the ball the same way as if you use your thumb. As far as the layout drill it with a layout of your choice for that ball. Just because you don't use a thumg doesn't mean there are special layouts . You use the regular layouts and choose one for hpow you want the ball to react.

As for improving your game , when you do not use a thumb it produces alot more revs. With this style a bowler usually cups the ball alot more than normal to be able to hang on. And it usually causes a bent elbow. What I would suggest to try is try not to muscle the ball towards your targert. Take a nice slow approach and try and lower your backswing just a little.. Open up the lane a little and this will cause you to keep the ball online towards your target.

Last edited by BubbaRay; 12-17-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM

are there any "no thumbers" currently on the pba tour?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhammerhead View Post
are there any "no thumbers" currently on the pba tour?
Quote:
The reason i have stuck to it was because of a re-occuring wrist and thumb injury i suffered while playing college football.
Does it matter if there are "no thumbers" on tour?
And I don't think there are any on tour, atleast not that I know of.

He stated he bowls like that due to an injury, Bubba is correct, the standard drillings will work the same for someone that uses a thumb or not.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM

Osku Palermaa bowls for team Europe and he throws with 2 hands and no thumb. I thought I heard there was one on tour a few years ago but Im not sure.

ARSENAL:
Mission(soon coming)
Onyx Vibe
Pinslasher
Motiv QZ1
BWC
Old 12-17-2007, 02:40 PM

there was a guy that did back in the 90's but I dont know about currently, seems like "funny" grips are becoming more common at the lanes
Old 12-17-2007, 02:43 PM

Bob Learn Jr used to throw with no thumb didnt he? Im really not sure.

ARSENAL:
Mission(soon coming)
Onyx Vibe
Pinslasher
Motiv QZ1
BWC
Old 12-17-2007, 06:37 PM

if you go onto talktenpin.co.uk and theres a guy who posts on there called george patel and he bowls no thumb and has done for along time hes has been and is one of the top and most respected bowlers in england and he knows his stuff about bowling ( he did the pba tour trial last year)
Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 PM

There are no guys on Tour using a no-thumb delivery right now. Simple reason,it's too hard to be consistent with that delivery. They either strike or leave a nasty split. Put together 4 or 5 strikes and turn the heat up on a no thumber. They fold everytime. Hell,just walk back and mutter to yourself just loud enough for him to hear. Say,Damn where did that dry patch come from? Then sit back and enjoy the gutterball show.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 PM

I cant agree with that Rowdy, maybe some do that, but there is a no thumber in our area that is one of the best bowlers around here, he averages in the mid 230s and bowls at a few different houses and holds the same average. Just because some people are not consistent with a style doesnt mean all of them aren't.

ARSENAL:
Mission(soon coming)
Onyx Vibe
Pinslasher
Motiv QZ1
BWC