Go Back   HammerTalk > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitMaster View Post
Take a bench grinder...mount it on its side on a stand or off the side of a table...they come in 1/3 and 1/2 hp as well....use the the same stainless bowl...slide it on the arbor and bolt it down...bench grinders are ALOT LESS expensive then these sharpeners...probably grab on at walmart for 40-50 bucks..if its double spindle...you may have to cut the bottom one off so that it doesnt catch on anything...but thats easy..use this and save money..just a thought. The guy that runs the alley here does refrigerator work on the side..he has a ton on 1/3hp Dayton motors...Ive gotten two from him...I have to go back to work tomorrow and start making my stand..Ive had 10 days off of work for the holidays. This shop just decided to give us off and pay us for it..I didnt complain lol...but once I build my stand .I already have the motor..was gonna fabricate a bowl..but this video gave me the right idea. Ill use one of the ole ladys stainless bowls from the cabinet.
I use old washing machine motors a lot in wood working to polish small things with . One a those motors would work just fine for this there CHEAP and the right RPM's imo anyway . just take a little bit a work mounting it .
Mission 2.0
Motiv Sigma

HG X 1 300 sanc
Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 PM

yea.like I said..I already got 2 dayton motors.they're perfect for the task..I just have to get back to the shop and build my stand..no biggie....I just dont know if Ill go back in tomorrow due to I have the flu...dangit.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:44 PM

Hey guys..I found where you can get these things at...looks better.but pretty much the same thing..400 rpms...about what the video one was turning..brand new for 100 bucks...thats if you wanna go this route.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitMaster View Post
Take a bench grinder...mount it on its side on a stand or off the side of a table...they come in 1/3 and 1/2 hp as well....use the the same stainless bowl...slide it on the arbor and bolt it down...bench grinders are ALOT LESS expensive then these sharpeners...probably grab on at walmart for 40-50 bucks..if its double spindle...you may have to cut the bottom one off so that it doesnt catch on anything...but thats easy..use this and save money..just a thought. The guy that runs the alley here does refrigerator work on the side..he has a ton on 1/3hp Dayton motors...Ive gotten two from him...I have to go back to work tomorrow and start making my stand..Ive had 10 days off of work for the holidays. This shop just decided to give us off and pay us for it..I didnt complain lol...but once I build my stand .I already have the motor..was gonna fabricate a bowl..but this video gave me the right idea. Ill use one of the ole ladys stainless bowls from the cabinet.
hey that's a pretty good idea split. my dad has a few grinders hes had for years. i'll probably buy a new one for him and take one of his old ones. do you have a setup like that?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:44 PM

Cool idea..I need to go to my Home Depot and get a like device..I am a manager there and I might be able to swing a deal..I already drill my own stuff with a drill press I bought about a year ago..Thanks for the tip..

Virtual Gravity
Ebonite Playmaker
Anger,BWS,BWP,DOOM

Avg.225

Winning is fun..But a good spirit and mind always sets the tone for success..
Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel275 View Post
Cool idea..I need to go to my Home Depot and get a like device..I am a manager there and I might be able to swing a deal..I already drill my own stuff with a drill press I bought about a year ago..Thanks for the tip..
did you buy a jig or make one for your press? i'm VERY interested in learning how to drill my own bowling balls.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:50 AM

I bought a press from my dad's friend that owned his own pro shop..It's a JAYHAWK TRI-OVAL JIG SYSTEM..Pretty cool system..I've been drilling my own stuff for years now.Never had my own system until recently..I got tired of paying 35 - 60 for holes..Went to the Jayhawk school to get a little more refined in the new ways and layouts of todays balls...

Virtual Gravity
Ebonite Playmaker
Anger,BWS,BWP,DOOM

Avg.225

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel275 View Post
I bought a press from my dad's friend that owned his own pro shop..It's a JAYHAWK TRI-OVAL JIG SYSTEM..Pretty cool system..I've been drilling my own stuff for years now.Never had my own system until recently..I got tired of paying 35 - 60 for holes..Went to the Jayhawk school to get a little more refined in the new ways and layouts of todays balls...
Back when Jeff Ussery was there? He runs the Ebonite Power House Brand now.

Jayhawk has some nice mills for drilling.

Posted by can-ham
I'm all for learning versatility that's why I have so many different balls...
Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to JoshWithrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhammerhead View Post
did you buy a jig or make one for your press? i'm VERY interested in learning how to drill my own bowling balls.
The only thing is that (without a jig) he wouldn't be able to handle oval drills or pitches reliably.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 AM

Yep..It's great to see him make that move.What an honor..

Virtual Gravity
Ebonite Playmaker
Anger,BWS,BWP,DOOM

Avg.225