Go Back   HammerTalk > Bowling Tips and Techniques

Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dado
Default generating more revs

in the last few months ive gotten my average up a good 30 or more pins. ive really been working on getting a smother release with more revs. but i still dont have the ball spinning like i want it. my pro shop owner says i have a very square approach and that if i want to get any more revs im going to have to open up my body more. ive been attempting to learn this but all it seems to do it make me fling the ball when i move my shoulders around. how do i use my body to generate more revs on the ball?

and on a side note, how do i go about lowering my track? i want to play around with that too, as i have a very high track right now.

tia,
Dado
Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to JoshWithrow

Dado,

To be quite honest I went thru this last year. What I found out was that I needed to learn to be happy with my current amount of revs. I already have a pretty high rev rate, so I'm not totally sure what it is that I was trying to accomplish, but whatever it was it didn't work. My shots were more erratic, I got tired faster, I was nowhere near as accurate, etc.

Now, I did the exact opposite, too. Removed some revs, threw a straighter line, and started alittle more on the side of the ball vs way back behind and flipping to the side. That worked out pretty well, but it's alot harder to try and amplify something then to dampen it.

Rev rate isn't everything, and don't worry about what Jones is doing. Be your own man, throw your own ball, and make your way using YOUR lines and skills.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 AM

Dado, Josh is right. If you have a good amount of revs right now, you should stick with your normal delivery. Yea, it's nice to see the ball reving up going down the lane but you have to realize some people this comes natural to like TJ. You could get allittle more revs just by trying to keep your hand under the ball and keep your knuckles facing the floor as if you are going to drag them.

Increasing revs comes from hand and finger position. I don't agree with opening the shoulders to increase revs. Opening the shoulders to open the lane up is one thing but not increasing rev rate.

As for lowering your trak why would you want to try to lower it? If your change your axis tilt on the ball at your release this will also change the trac. here is a post you might want to read about changing hand and finger postions to increase revs.

How to change the axis tilt on the ball during release. Pete Weber is the best in the business for doing this. As a coach, if I have learned anything at all from teaching people new things, it is that everyone is different. Everyone learns at a different pace. I have learned that I not only have to teach a persons mind so they can understand the “what” and “why,” I have to teach the “how” part of learning. This takes time and effort; shortcuts will be rewarded with poor performance.

To begin with, try this simple way of increasing and decreasing your revolutions. Increasing and decreasing revolutions is as easy as 5-6-7. Literally, the name corresponds with the starting position of the middle finger in the stance. To increase revolutions, you just change the starting position of the middle finger and keep the finish release position the same. For right-handed bowlers, as your middle finger changes position, from 5 to 6 to 7, you will increase the amount of revolutions on your bowling ball.

First, you need to follow-through with the same release position. I would recommend that you use a 45 degree release . This is where your fingers are in the 4 (middle finger ) and 5 (ring finger) o’clock position. I refer to this as the 1 o’clock release. If the thumb exits the ball and is extended fully, it will point to 1 o’clock. as you are releasing the ball imagine your thumb going to 1 o’clock.

As a rev rate rule of thumb, always begin with your hand in the 6 o’clock position. Your hand will be directly under the ball. Be sure to keep your index and pinky tight. In other words, do not spread your fingers. This release will provide you with medium revolutions. To increase revolutions, start with your middle finger in the 7 o’clock position. Lefties, you would start in the 5 o’clock position. So, you will turn your hand and wrist so the ball is more on the outside. This position will set you up to achieve more rotation of the hand to the point of release. This position will increase the amount of revolutions. But, be sure to put your other hand under your wrist to support the weight. To decrease revolutions, start with your middle finger in the 5 o’clock position. For left-handed bowlers, you should start with the middle finger in the 7 o’clock position. You probably won’t rotate your hand and wrist that much at all. But, like two gears, the actions of your follow-through will cause revolutions. But, it will be less than the other two starting hand positions.
Good scores come from being able to change to better match-up with the lane condition. It is not always about longer and stronger. Sometimes, earlier and weaker will produce the big numbers. Changing your rev rate can be achieved with this simple 5-6-7 system. But, remember as your rev rate increases, you will also increase both skid and backend reaction. As you decrease your revs, you will decrease skid as well as backend reaction. Try this and experiment with using speed changes with each of these three starting positions. The more you know the better you will become.

But if your Avg. improved 30 pins you have to be doing something right.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dado

i will give that a try tomorrow at practice, but ive played around with that stuff plenty. ill pay more attention this time .
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWithrow View Post
Rev rate isn't everything, and don't worry about what Jones is doing. Be your own man, throw your own ball, and make your way using YOUR lines and skills.
Aint that the truth...i started the winter season with an avg around 180ish...then i started trying to play other lines, add more revs, basically trying to be too fancy and that screwed me up...now my avg is 166!!!
the bad thing is now i'm trying to re-learn my way of bowling...i took one giant step backwards!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:46 PM

generally speaking, when learning a new skill a bowlers avg will drop for a while. the bigger the change, the bigger the drop. once the new skill becomes habit the avg should rebound.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
in the last few months ive gotten my average up a good 30 or more pins. ive really been working on getting a smother release with more revs. but i still dont have the ball spinning like i want it. my pro shop owner says i have a very square approach and that if i want to get any more revs im going to have to open up my body more. ive been attempting to learn this but all it seems to do it make me fling the ball when i move my shoulders around. how do i use my body to generate more revs on the ball?

and on a side note, how do i go about lowering my track? i want to play around with that too, as i have a very high track right now.

tia,
Dado
key point: rev rate and ball speed should increase/decrease together.

Dado,
if the work you've done developing a better armswing has increased your ball speed then you should increase your revs. if not continue your current practice until your ball speed begins to increase.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
key point: rev rate and ball speed should increase/decrease together.

Dado,
if the work you've done developing a better armswing has increased your ball speed then you should increase your revs. if not continue your current practice until your ball speed begins to increase.
Slap, is this always the case? or is it generally just suppose to increase / decrease together? Ive increased my rev rate over 120-150rpm within the last year and my ball speed hasn't really changed. I throw around 14-15mph currently and anytime I try and pick up speed my rev rate will drop again, it could just be a timing thing for me but figured I might as well ask. I'm comfortable throwing at the speed I throw so its not to big of a deal.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daorge View Post
Slap, is this always the case? or is it generally just suppose to increase / decrease together? Ive increased my rev rate over 120-150rpm within the last year and my ball speed hasn't really changed. I throw around 14-15mph currently and anytime I try and pick up speed my rev rate will drop again, it could just be a timing thing for me but figured I might as well ask. I'm comfortable throwing at the speed I throw so its not to big of a deal.
Matching up is the "ideal." In reality bowlers fall into 3 "types" rev/speed equal, rev domiant and speed domiant. This factors in to equipment preferences, layouts and surface prep. This is one of the reasons why it is suggested that a pro shop operator watch a bower roll the ball before drilling a ball.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Slap,if his rev's are up but the ball speed stays the same,sounds like the armswing isn't "free" enough. Either it's a set up/pushaway deal,or there's deceleration in the downswing/follow through.