Go Back   HammerTalk > Bowling Tips and Techniques

Old 05-25-2008, 05:37 PM

Default What Am I Doing Wrong?

I know there is a lot wrong, but what are the main ones?
I'm trying to work on getting lower on my release and following through more.

My Ball is a hammer black widow pearl:

And here is the Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TKePurH3zw

Last edited by hearurscream; 05-25-2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Had to upload video again
Old 05-25-2008, 05:59 PM

FWIW, this is what I see:

Move about five boards to your right.

Keep your hand behind the ball and release your thumb while it passes your slide foot, lifting the ball at release with your fingers.
Arsenal: BWS, BWP
Old 05-25-2008, 06:58 PM

get more knee bend, this will get you down closer to the lane and should stop that lofting, concentrate on keeping your hand inside the ball during your swing then when the ball gets by your leg on the swing then hit it that should stop you from coming around the side of the ball so much. Those are the 2 main things I see, Im sure others will chime in on the subject.

ARSENAL:
Mission(soon coming)
Onyx Vibe
Pinslasher
Motiv QZ1
BWC
Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the information, I'll try all these when I go bowling next.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 AM

Yes to the deep knee bend at the line. No to the other suggestions. Do not pull up, do not "hit" it. There is simply no reason to "rev" the ball in the modern game. Hold your wrist in a strong position throughout the swing (inside the ball, cocked and cupped), and then RELAX your wrist at the release point, and let the ball roll off your hand. Let gravity and momentum do all the work. They are far more precise then you.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvar View Post
Yes to the deep knee bend at the line. No to the other suggestions. Do not pull up, do not "hit" it. There is simply no reason to "rev" the ball in the modern game. Hold your wrist in a strong position throughout the swing (inside the ball, cocked and cupped), and then RELAX your wrist at the release point, and let the ball roll off your hand. Let gravity and momentum do all the work. They are far more precise then you.
So you call a "cocked and cupped wrist" not reving the ball?, he asked what was wrong and thats what I saw wrong the keeping the wrist inside the ball is a great thing and hes going to have to learn it sooner or later so in my opinion sooner would be better, spinning the ball like that is not a good thing keeping inside the ball will make him come from behind the ball more and make the reaction a lot more consistant (check his other thread hes having problems with that), and neither is "cocking" your wrist unless you want surgery, I use to do that, not a good thing. I agree on letting gravity and momentum do the work but for that to work everything has to flow right.

ARSENAL:
Mission(soon coming)
Onyx Vibe
Pinslasher
Motiv QZ1
BWC
Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 PM

The main thing I saw was a lack of effort on the shot. It looked like you could have cared less where the ball went or how it rolled. Now,I know you do care,but that's how it looks on video. There was no "pop" at the release point,no real follow through that comes from "throwing" the ball.

The coming from the inside I can live with,but you've got to get some knee bend,keep the trailing leg on the floor,keep the upper body upright and put all the hand you've got into the shot at release with a good follow through. That'll also give you more hook on the backend so you'll be able to play a more outside line if you want.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Cocking the wrist does not cause strain for most bowlers. If it does a simple wrist brace solves the problem. And no cocking and cupping are not "revving" the ball. Pulling on it at the bottom, hitting it, rolling your hand over the ball, etc, etc... are examples of "revving" the ball. They all require something active at the release point. Having a strong hand position throughout the swing and just relaxing and letting it roll off your hand on release is not "revving it up". Yes it will give you a lot of revs when done correctly, but that is the point after all.

Rowdy: Your second paragraph is spot on. Your first leaves a lot to be desired. Done properly it should look effortless, and you should never "throw" the ball.

Last edited by acvar; 05-26-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 PM

I dont know I grew up being taught to make the ball hook and use what you have and use all of it not just baby the ball out onto the lane, yea when the balls at the bottom of the swing I hit it hard but also when I do that nobody else can play the part of the lane I can which is a huge advantage, I was always taught to give it my all and just laying the ball on the lane is babying it in my book, the ball can do a lot of work but it cant do all of the work. I know exactly what Rowdy is talking about and I do agree with it throwing the ball and the pop at the release would mean he was hitting it which IMO is done right. I know a lot of people would agree with me there. Everyone is different and has there different styles, but it looks to me like he wants to play the inside part of the lane with some speed and to do that hes going to have to hit it.

ARSENAL:
Mission(soon coming)
Onyx Vibe
Pinslasher
Motiv QZ1
BWC
Old 05-26-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvar View Post
Cocking the wrist does not cause strain for most bowlers. If it does a simple wrist brace solves the problem. And no cocking and cupping are not "revving" the ball. Pulling on it at the bottom, hitting it, rolling your hand over the ball, etc, etc... are examples of "revving" the ball. They all require something active at the release point. Having a strong hand position throughout the swing and just relaxing and letting it roll off your hand on release is not "revving it up". Yes it will give you a lot of revs when done correctly, but that is the point after all.

Rowdy: Your second paragraph is spot on. Your first leaves a lot to be desired. Done properly it should look effortless, and you should never "throw" the ball.
Okay,instead of "throw",how about "Project onto the lane"??? The shot just looked like,"Eh,I don't really care where the ball goes or what it does".

There wasn't any acceleration of the hand through the ball at release. Thats what I meant by "throw".