Go Back   HammerTalk > Bowling Tips and Techniques

Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Razr
Default Baking your ball in an oven..

So, yes our proshop does have a rejuvinator that I could use and make this much more easier, but I'm not always there and can't always at any time have access to it..

I've done hot water baths and such to clean the oil out but I was wondering if by chance I could place my ball in my kitchen oven to bleed the oil out like a rejuvinator does while I'm at home..?

If so, what would be a good temp. and some kind of time range to check on the ball?
Don't want to ruin the ball by having a too high of temp. or leaving it in for too too long..
Also what would make a good, what should I call it... like something to place the ball on in the oven?

Thanks to all replies.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:25 PM

The Revivor oven maintains temperature at approx 110 degrees. (not quite sure) It also rotates and wipes the oil off the ball while its in there. Your oven at home cannot maintain a consistent temp over the entire surface of the ball like the revivor can.

http://www.viseinserts.com
http://www.phxbowling.com/acba
http://www.astbowling.com/
Old 10-05-2008, 11:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Flessan

I've seen many a terrible thing coming from baking a ball in the oven. It's better to leave it out in the sun or warm shade on an ash tray and rotate it every 30 minutes.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 AM

I'm a big fan of the hot water in a bucket system. Alot safer than an oven.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:38 AM

Dont use the oven, too dangerous for the ball and everything that comes off the ball is now in the oven. So next time you cook something in there dont be surprised if it tastes like some oil. Better to just use the bucket method.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 AM

When I hear of people putting bowling balls in their ovens at home, it makes me nervous. Bowling balls, especially reactive and particle technology balls, are sensitive to heat. If you put one of these balls in the oven at 150 degrees for an hour, don't be surprised if it splits into two pieces as it cools. Thermal stress is not good for balls. If the ball gets too hot it can crack, and even if it does not appear to have a crack on the outside surface the heat can cause many small, unseen stress fractures in the material that weaken it.

Another concern stems from the materials balls are made of. There are all sorts of chemicals in the balls, and many of them are not fit for human consumption. Putting a ball into an oven that is used to prepare food is a bad idea. In fact, you shouldn't even leave your balls in a hot trunk for very long--high temperatures in the trunk can damage a ball.

A safer and effective way to get the oil out of your ball is to get a five-gallon bucket of hot water and a detergent and scrub your ball with a soft nylon brush, rag, or sponge. This will draw the oil out of the ball and restore some of its hooking power.
Why spend hundreds of dollars on a pwedormance ball if you're not going to maintain it for optimal performance? That's like buying an expensive sports car and waiting 10,000 miles to change the oil, or leaving the body exposed to the elements and letting it rust away. By knowing what to do, where to go, and how often to maintain your ball properly, you can raise the efficiency of your game. Just as important is avoiding anything that may harm your precious ball--bowling balls are most definitely not fit for Shake 'n. Bake.

Ball reaction is about surface to surface contact. If you don't create friction you will get skid, if you create lots of friction you get hook. You must have the right friction level for each lane condition to be effective on that lane condition. Dull balls tend to hook earlier and shined balls tend to hook later. Adjust your surface before you change your style. Keep it simple and you will score higher. Too many changes are too confusing and cause difficulty staying consistent. Experiment with changing your ball surface to change the reaction. Find out what your balls can do.

Bowl with well maintained balls and you will have more success. Higher scores with less work and your average will go up. Your confidence will build and who knows where your average will end up at. Take advantage of the tools available to you and you will be glad you did.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 AM

Ok, just like all methods there those for and against... I will at least give you a positive "for" on the method. You just have to do it right. Nothing higher than 120 or 125 if your oven has that setting. Otherwise leave it on Warm. I use an old pan to put my ball on just in case anything drips. Once the ball starts bleeding I start the process of wipin with either alcohol or a cleaner then placing back in the oven until it bleeds enough to wipe again, usually only 1 -2 min. If you're really worried about over exposure, sometimes you can do multiple balls at once and just alt. each time you're cleaning the other. To each his own.... heed everyone elses warnings but that doesn't mean the method does not produce results. I'm no physicist in material properties and neither is anyone else here (I'm assuming)
Cell
Clear Wolf

Accomplishments this Season (Fall):
High Game: 279
Low Game: 137
High League Avg ( of 3): 183
Old 10-06-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaRay View Post
When I hear of people putting bowling balls in their ovens at home, it makes me nervous. Bowling balls, especially reactive and particle technology balls, are sensitive to heat. If you put one of these balls in the oven at 150 degrees for an hour, don't be surprised if it splits into two pieces as it cools. Thermal stress is not good for balls. If the ball gets too hot it can crack, and even if it does not appear to have a crack on the outside surface the heat can cause many small, unseen stress fractures in the material that weaken it.

Another concern stems from the materials balls are made of. There are all sorts of chemicals in the balls, and many of them are not fit for human consumption. Putting a ball into an oven that is used to prepare food is a bad idea. In fact, you shouldn't even leave your balls in a hot trunk for very long--high temperatures in the trunk can damage a ball.

A safer and effective way to get the oil out of your ball is to get a five-gallon bucket of hot water and a detergent and scrub your ball with a soft nylon brush, rag, or sponge. This will draw the oil out of the ball and restore some of its hooking power.
Why spend hundreds of dollars on a pwedormance ball if you're not going to maintain it for optimal performance? That's like buying an expensive sports car and waiting 10,000 miles to change the oil, or leaving the body exposed to the elements and letting it rust away. By knowing what to do, where to go, and how often to maintain your ball properly, you can raise the efficiency of your game. Just as important is avoiding anything that may harm your precious ball--bowling balls are most definitely not fit for Shake 'n. Bake.

Ball reaction is about surface to surface contact. If you don't create friction you will get skid, if you create lots of friction you get hook. You must have the right friction level for each lane condition to be effective on that lane condition. Dull balls tend to hook earlier and shined balls tend to hook later. Adjust your surface before you change your style. Keep it simple and you will score higher. Too many changes are too confusing and cause difficulty staying consistent. Experiment with changing your ball surface to change the reaction. Find out what your balls can do.

Bowl with well maintained balls and you will have more success. Higher scores with less work and your average will go up. Your confidence will build and who knows where your average will end up at. Take advantage of the tools available to you and you will be glad you did.

Do you actually type this stuff or do you just copy and paste it from other sites?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed View Post
Do you actually type this stuff or do you just copy and paste it from other sites?
Shhhh, he's a busy guy but it's all pertinent and good information. At least I don't have to go search for it. But yea....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._76549173/pg_2
Cell
Clear Wolf

Accomplishments this Season (Fall):
High Game: 279
Low Game: 137
High League Avg ( of 3): 183
Old 10-08-2008, 10:53 AM

rejuvinator has benefits over the hot water bath as well. I don't know about you but when I turn on the hot water at my house I can't put my hand in the bucket, it's too hot. But I can put my hand in the rejuvinator. A bowling ball is porous, if it absorbs oil it will absorb water, question is what are the long term effects of this? (honestly I don't think there are any as my 6 year old ball still rolles like new and it's had over 30 baths) Also aside from the spinning, the rejuvinator has some air flow that the oven doesn't.

In the return: Fringe, Riot
In the bag: Invasion, N'Tense, Maxim
In storage: Beat'n, Noize